Teeth whitening is a method that helps counter the dullness of the teeth. It is beneficial in multiple ways. It not only helps in making the smile brighter but also aids in reducing plaque build-up and chances of gum disease. This helps in reducing and preventing any tooth-related issues or gum diseases that often accompany age. After all, prevention is definitely better than cure. Teeth whitening is beneficial as it induces the urge to have better oral hygiene practices as well.
What Causes Discoloration Of Teeth?
Following are few reasons that cause discoloration:
- Frequent consumption of tea, coffee, red wine.
- Smoking cigarettes and chewing tobacco.
- A lot of consumption of fluorides during childhood.
- Aging also contributes to discoloration. With age, the enamel layer becomes thin, gradually exposing the dentin layer beneath. Dentin is darker in color than enamel.
- If you have got your teeth damaged because of a facial injury, the discoloration can happen. Teeth change their color to damage control by laying down more dentin. And as mentioned earlier, dentin is darker than the outermost layer of teeth. Teeth change their color to damage control by laying down more dentin. And as mentioned earlier, dentin is darker than the outermost layer of teeth.
- Any strong medications or treatments like chemotherapy can also contribute to discoloration.
Thus, in such cases, teeth whitening can prove a boon to not only improve the appearance but also in maintaining dental health.
What Happens At The Dentist’s Clinic?
- The dentist inserts a lip retractor in your mouth. It is a simple plastic guide that just moves your lips away to examine your teeth without a hindrance.
- After a thorough examination, a photograph of teeth is taken. This is to track the progress of whitening in further sessions.
- Then the dentist begins cleaning your teeth. He removes the cover on enamel which is caused due to various foods.
- Now, he puts a gel around the gums of your front teeth and uses a high-powered light to harden it. This helps to protect your gums from irritation due to bleaching.
- Then the gel made up of 15-25% hydrogen peroxide is applied to the front teeth. The entire process may take 30-90 minutes depending on the severity of your case.
- In few cases, laser light is also used, depending on which technology forms the backbone of the treatment.
Apart from the above-mentioned procedure, there are a few more options for teeth whitening, like custom-made whitening trays.
The dental whitening trays are fabricated by taking impressions of your teeth and then dental stone models are made from those impressions. They are then placed on a custom-forming vacuum machine. This machine will fabricate the trays.
You will come back for a second appointment to receive the trays and the prescription strength whitening gel.
Benefits Of Teeth Whitening
- The trays are typically worn for an hour a day. The dentist has found that you will reach your maximum whitening level after 2 to 3 weeks.
- One of the biggest advantages of professional teeth whitening treatment is that it gives you long-lasting results.
- This treatment boosts your confidence and gives you a bright smile.
- It is one of the speedy procedures and saves you ample time.